Wednesday, March 12, 2014

#39 - I Survived the Nazi Invasion, 1944

This is the newest book in the highly popular I Survived series by Lauren Tarshis.  It gives an account of the horrifying events in the Holocaust from a child's perspective.  Max and Zena are forced from their home and into the ghetto along with all of the Jews in their city.  Their father is taken away with all of the other men, but they do not know where.  Max sneaks out of the ghetto fence to pick some berries on a nearby bush when he is captured by a soldier.  Zena comes to his rescue and the two escape and go on the run.  Do they survive?  Do they ever see their family again?  What ever happened to their father?  You will have to read to find out!

This has been a great series for my library and has gotten many reluctant readers hooked on the historical events recounted in these books.  I would recommend them for grades 3 - 8 (or for anyone who wants a good read of a historical event from a child's perspective).

I Survived #9: I Survived the Nazi Invasion, 1944

No comments:

Post a Comment